Wednesday, November 12, 2008

{yum}

So I've been cooking a lot lately. And trying lots of new recipes. And tweaking old recipes.

I made this last night & just have to share because it was delish.

Barack Obama's Chili:

1 large onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

Several cloves of garlic, chopped

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 pound ground turkey or beef

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon ground oregano

1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric

1/4 teaspoon ground basil

1 tablespoon chili powder

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Several tomatoes, depending on size, chopped

1 can red kidney beans

Method:

Sauté onions, green pepper and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add ground meat and brown. Combine spices together into a mixture, then add to ground meat. Add red wine vinegar. Add tomatoes and let simmer, until tomatoes cook down. Add kidney beans and cook for a few more minutes.

Serve over white or brown rice. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, onions and sour cream.



I have to start by saying that I'm not a fan of onions, tomatoes or green peppers. I like the taste of them, but not the actual biting into them. So for me to even attempt this dish was a stretch. It was amazing though. Everything cooked down enough & melted together that I wasn't even able to tell when I bit into one of my forbidden foods. Seriously good. I like my chili beany, so I added a big can & a small can, but B said that was too much beans for him, but otherwise liked it. Emma loved the 'soupy' part especially and had a second bowl of just rice & 'soup'. So now that it's getting cold out, go make some chili straight from the president elects recipe box. :)

Original found here: http://www.northcoastjournal.com/issues/2008/05/29/baracks-chili/

No comments: