OK... taking a break from cleaning my house. Leaving soon to hang out with some of my ex-in laws who happen to be good friends of mine still. :)
So last night Mariel & I set off to go out, but with no knowledge of where to go or what to do, just deciding as we drive. We were hungry & started to head towards Kobes. She missed the turn & while doing a u-turn she pointed out this Spanish resturant that was really good, called Mofongo. Mofongo is a spanish dish that is SUPER YUM. So we decide to go to there instead of Kobes. Mind you, I've never been there, but I do know that the best spanish places are holes in a wall. This one was no exception. It's basiclly a spanish gas station, with the spanish cooking staple Adobo on the shelf right when you walk in. Towards the end of it, there's tables & a counter to order food. So I got yellow rice with black beans, pork chops & my fave, ripe plantains. So much better than green ones. :) Now, ordering was NOT that easy. The guy knew plenty of english, but since Mariel busted out her spanish, he expected me to also. He asked me questions in spanish & I answered in english, they were simple enough for me to understand. But then he got more complicated & I got the lost look on my face & he realized that I really don't know spanish. So he kept going...and going...and going. And laughing the whole time. It wasn't a mean thing, it was funny, I'm sure I gave him the best laugh he's had all day. Especially when he told me my total in spanish & idiot me messed that up. He corrected me & then I STILL handed him the wrong amount. Thats when Mariel says (in total spanish), be nice to her, go easy, she's 'cubano'. (They were both Puerto Rican) He looks at me & goes, "CUBANO?!" I go, Si. He says, NO! Mariel goes, 'medio Cubano y medio flaco.' Which of course, he finds the funniest of the week. (half Cuban & half white)
Of course he had to watch me eat after that, especially since I went & bought my two favorite spanish drinks to go with the meal, Goya Pineapple & Inca Kola.
In all, it was fun. AWESOME food & lots of laughs. And it was only seis dólares, even though I kept trying to give him $7. :)
More later....
No comments:
Post a Comment