Monday, May 16, 2005

{old tunes, new ears}

OK, ment to do this over the weekend. So I'm sitting at work last week & 'Foolish Games' by Jewel came on the radio. My friend & I start talking about that CD, how awesome it was. Then she mentions Jewel's second CD & how it's even better. Now, I love the 'Pieces of You' album. It's one of the few albums where I know all the words to almost all the songs. Still listen to it on a regular basis, 10 years after it came out. Of course when Jewel released her second album, I was all over it. 'Hands' was the first single, loved it. Got the CD for Christmas....hated it. Listed maybe twice before putting it way for years. Said friend went on & on about how the lyrics on the 'Spirit' CD are amazing and how they seem very 'me' to her, based on her image of me I guess. So I promised her I would listen to it again. I grabbed it before heading out to a friends this week & quickly fell in love with it. I guess I wasn't ready for it back when it came out in 1998, but now, 7 years later, it hits the spot. Perfect for me right now. So glad I gave it another chance.

So, I challenge you to dig into your CD collection. Find something you had cast aside & listen to it again. Listen with new ears, you may find a new favorite CD.

And, I'll share my favorite song from my newly rediscovered CD:


Jewel - Deep Water

When you find yourself falling down
Your hopes in the sky but your heart like grape gum on the
ground
And you try to find yourself
In the abstractions of religion and the cruelty of everyone else
And you wake up to realize
Your standard of living somehow got stuck on survive

And when you're standing in deep water
And you're bailing yourself out with a straw
When you're drowning in deep water
And you wake up making love to a wall
Well it's these little times that help to remind
It's nothing without love

When you realize your only friend
has never been yourself or anyone who cared in the end
That's when everything fades or falls away
Cause the chains which once held us are only the chains which
we've
made

And when you're standing in deep water
And you're bailing yourself out with a straw
When you're drowning in deep water
And you wake up making love to a wall
Well it's these little times that help to remind
It's nothing without love
Love, love, it's nothing without love

We compromised our pride, sacrifice our health
We must demand more, not from each other, but more from
ourselves

Cause when you're standing in deep water
And you're bailing yourself out with a straw
When you're drowning in deep water
And you wake up making love to a wall
Well it's these little times that help to remind
It's nothing without love
Love, love, it's nothing without love
It's nothing without love


And one more...cause I'm the music addict.. My favorite song form the first CD (This was in the height of the Sergio saga, so for those who REALLY know me, this will make even more sense)

JEWEL - Near You Always

Please don't say I love you,
those words touch me much too deeply
and they make my core tremble
Don't think you realize the power you have over me
And please don't come so close
It just makes me want to make you near me always
Please don't kiss me so sweet
it makes me crave a thousand kisses to follow
And please don't touch me like that
makes every other embrace seem pale and shallow
Please don't look at me like that
it just makes me want to make you near me always
Please don't send me flowers
they only whisper the sweet things you'd say
Don't try to understand me
your hands already know too much anyway
It just makes me want to make you near me always
And when you look in my eyes
please know my heart is in your hands
It's nothing that I understand, but when in your arms
you have complete power over me
So be gentle if you please, 'cause
Your hands are in my hair, but my heart is in your teeth
And it makes me want to make you near me always
I want to be near you always
I want to be near you always
I want to be near you always

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG- I am so digging out my Jewel CDs- I use to know all of her songs by heart but I haven't listed in ages! I'm gonig to find it right this minute actually!!