Sunday, May 01, 2005

my brother


Posted by Hello

(Here's a little secret, Sheri & I use our blogs to show each other photos of anything & everything & then delete them once the other one sees it, easier than uploading someone else. This is a photo I shared with her today, to show her why I think my brother & her son look alike, but instead of deleting it, I'm gonna run with it here...)

So that's my brother, Wesley. He is my only full brother, I have 2 half brothers & a half sister also...in addition to 3 step brothers & a step sister....ultimate blended family.
That's us on my wedding day (five months preggo, go easy on me). Less than one month prior to my wedding was my mom & stepdads wedding. I remember pulling up to the chuch in the limo with my mom & seeing my brother standing on the church steps. All dressed up in his tux, his cowboy hat....and flip flops. My mom goes, "Look at my son, he looks so handso....what is on his feet?!?!" Turns out he had somehow left his socks at my moms house & her husband to be was bringing them with him, he just hadn't gotten there with them yet. But that's the type of guy Wes is, I wouldn't have been surprised if he had decided to just show up in flip flops for the hell of it. He's very I-won't-conform-to-society-don't-try-to-make-me. Once I finally accepted that about him it became one of my favorite traits about him. Wes will be 24 this year, that amazes me. Last Thanksgiving he grabbed a beer & I made a face at him, he asked what & I said, "'Your not old enough to drink that." I completely forget that he's no longer the snot nosed little brother that used to run around trying to impress my friends with washcloths hanging over the front & back of his underwear (like Indians wear) and nothing else on. He's not the little brother that I would scream at if he looked at me. He's not the little brother that once met a date of mine at the front door with a baseball bat...although I'm sure he would if we were still living in the same house. He's now the guy I call when I lock my keys in the car and need a ride back to my house to break in & get the spare set. He's the guy that I confess my traffic ticket to and tell him not to tell mom....followed by him confessing his to me & telling me not to tell mom. He's the guy that calls my mom & asks for advice on raising his step son. He's Uncle Wes and that girl of mine loves him like something fierce. And I do too. It's so nice to be at a spot in our lives where we can love each other and know that we can be in the same room without Mom threatening to knock our heads together if we don't stop fighting. And I promise to not send him running across the street in front of an oncoming car to grab the 'dinosaur egg' on the other side of the road ever again. :wink:

No comments: