Friday, August 19, 2005

I think I'm going to be OK mommy

Nothing worse than walking into the office after lunch & being greated with "Your daughter's hurt. You need to call the school & call your mom, she's worried." The one day I forgot my cell phone at home. The one day I went out to lunch instead of eating in the office. All that my boss knew was that the school called & said that Emma slammed her finger in a door & it was bleeding a lot. I called the school & was told that I needed to get there as soon as I can & my boss took my moms phone number & called her for me so that I could leave.

I got to the school & they had her right pinky all bandaged up. There was blood all over her hand & her clothes. She started crying as soon as she saw me & it seriously took all I had in me to not cry with her. I asked her what happened & she said that another child was in time out & he was mad so he slammed the door as she walked into the bathroom. Now, I've seen the bathroom door, it's a very heavy door. The school nurse said that they weren't sure how bad it was, Emma wouldn't let them touch or look at it. They just wrapped it up & got the bleeding to stop, but I needed to take her to a walk in or to the ER. I called my mom from the school to let her know that I had Emma & she suggested I take her to the pedatrician, as they would get her in faster. So I called them & set an appointment for 30 minutes, which is what it would take me to get there. As I was leaving the school, Mike called. (Which totally threw me when they handed me a phone & said it's your husband. Didn't think they were talking to me!) He said he'd meet me at the pedatrician.

Once we got there, they took the bandage off & I saw her finger for the first time. SO much worse than I expected. It looked like someone cut from the side of her finger tip pad, over the top & down the other side & peeled it back. Huge chunk of skin hanging. The Dr said she needed stitches & it was more than they could handle there. They called a hand sergeon & let them know we were on our way.

After getting there, filling out paperwork, they finally came in & gave her a shot in her finger to numb it & rinse it out. I don't think she's ever screamed that loud in her entire life. I felt so bad for her. She calmed down a little & needed to go to the bathroom, so I had to carry her thru the waiting room & into the main lobby of the medical building with this blue thing wraped around her arm to catch the blood. Later, they took us down the hall for x-rays, which she did wonderful with. I was afraid of that part cause she didn't handle them well at all when she broke her wrist 1 1/2 years ago. Finally, the Dr came in & Emma freaked out. She already got all upset when the peditrician said stitches and now she knew it was time for them & she told the Dr that she didn't want him to do them, she wanted the nurse to do them, because the nurse had been in there talking to her & she felt comfortable with the nurse. I told her to lay down, look at me, talk to me, and me & her will talk through it, neither of us have to look. She asked if it was going to hurt & the Dr said, Do this hurt? She said no & he said your numb, you won't feel anything. So we sat there, eye to eye, for about 5 minutes while he stitched her up, talking about McDonalds and the cat & making faces at each other. About half way through she said to me, I think I'm going to be OK mommy. Again, fought back tears with everything in me & said, yep, I think you are sweetie. We left there with 5 stitches in her tiny little pinky and her fully back to herself.

Little bits of her shined thru during the day that reminded me how cool she is. At one point I told her that she's brave, just like a lion. She responded with, "Lions aren't brave. I read a book and the lion got a needle in his paw & he cried. Lions aren't brave." After they gave her the numbing needle she was laying there screaming & crying & said, "They are trying to kill me and they didn't even say sorry! They need to say sorry! They didn't say I was pretty either!" Later when we were talking about what happened, she rolled her eyes & said, "I shouldn't have went to the bathroom in the first place."

That's my girl. My trooper. She was wonderful today & I'm so very proud of her.

And now she's with her dad for the weekend. (Whom I'm very thankful was there with me today. I think if he hadn't been there I surely would have lost it) And I'm home, alone. With a big Diet Coke from the gas station...and 3 lotto tickets for tomorrow nights drawing...it has to get better.

4 comments:

Sheri said...

omg you MADE ME CRY!!!!!!!!!!

I love that girl, let me tell you.... love her.

photographer said...

Poor little baby! Gosh, scared me! I would have been bawling! I hate when the kids get hurt. Bravo, Emma, you are a good girl! Bravo, momma, you are a wonderful Mom!

Anonymous said...

yep, me too, I cried! can't stand it when kids get hurt!
lots of extra TLC for Mom and Emma!

Lora3677 said...

LIZA!!! I'm sitting here.. AT WORK... sobbing!!! She is such a little sweetie!! Glad she is going to be ok.. but I agree... you should call Dr's office and tell them Emma demands an apology! ha hA!!