Tuesday, July 26, 2005

CKU in review - classes

It's been 3 days since CKU ended & I'm just now starting to feel recovered. I had read that you would be going nonstop & come home tired, but I never expected it to be like this. I went to bed at 6pm last night, I was THAT tired. :)
So here is a little review of the classes, there's a lot more that went on & that will come later. :)

Living the Dream - mini class with Making Memories:
This was a class that everyone got to take on Thursday, during the make & take day.
The class was to make a mini alubm to store all you CKU photos/stuff in. We got a nice 6x6 linen album and lots of goodies from MM to use in it. The design itself was very simple though, just cardstock layered over cardstock, which kind of bugged me. I don't think I'll be using the album for CKU stuff, too small. The album example that they had on the projector was with white background pages & ours had black backgroud, so we ended up layering black CS on black CS, which seemed silly. Not sure why we couldn't have just left that part out or just have been givin white cardstock. No huge deal though, I'll still use the stuff, just in a different version.

Sure to Impress-
This was by Hero Arts, taught by Tracy Kyle & Jennifer McGuire & was about using stamps in your scrapbooks. LOVED this class. It was a last minute change to my schedule, I dropped the Faye Morrow Bell class for this one & I'm so happy that I did. We created 2 12x12 layouts & our 'homework' was a card. Lots of goodies in this class also, including 2 Hero Arts stamps, 2 Versacolor color cubes, a pack of blank cards and lots of Autumn Leaves products, including enough paper to make each LO into a 2 page spread.

1,2,3 Inks That Easy-
Sponsered by Ranger Inks & taught by Robin (can't remember her last name). Also had Stacy from Junkitz & Tim Holtz (here after refered to as Hottness) in there helping out. We played with the Ranger inks, clear resist ink & a brayer. Never used the clear resist or brayer before, pretty cool technique. Also learned a faux layering techinque using a templete made with deco scissors & inks. Got to keep the 3 ink pads we used (others got a brayer & clear resist pad) and got some cool Junkitz paper & embelishments too.

ABCs of Color-
By the amazing Ali Edwards. We got product to do a page at home, but the class were purely lecture, which was awesome. I could sit & listen to Ali all day. The class was about stepping outside of the color wheel & findin color inspiration in everday life. Awesome awesome awesome class. And again, Ali is just amazing. (Side story, she was looking at some photos we took Saturday night, the ones of Lisa & I in the washer & dryer & she goes, Look at that yellow. Meaning my yellow purse on top of the dryer. I was like, wow, that's how her mind works. I wouldn't have pulled that yellow from that photo, but she did. Wow.)

Yes, that's a scrapbook-
Donna Downey. Need I say more?! This was a very cool photo box, staright off the boat from China. I think she said it's just now arriving in stores. The point was to alter this box & create an album about our faveorites in life. Or something else I guess. Very cool project though. Not enough time to finish it in class, but she did bring the supplies to that night's crop to work on it if you wanted to. And Donna, so full of energy and peppy. She rocks. :)

Secret Keeper-
By Rusty Pickle. VERY cute little book. Accordian style but it closes with a string tie closure thingy, very cute. This class seemed unorganized, not sure how, but it just did. Happy with the project though & would do more Rusty Pickle classes. Only thing I didn't like, no extra product. I know, we got a whole mini book, but every other class we got extras in. Oh well.

Ultimate Distressed Scrapbook Page-
My second class with hotness. Robin & Stacy where there again. We learned which colors of the distress pads go together & how to distress a photo. Used some cute litte pen nibs for the photo distressing and got to use some of the new paper that hotness designed, called Distressables. VERY cool layout, just need to finish it. Lots more cool Junkitz embellishments in this class, along with getting to keep the ink pads we used.

Don't Distress, Vacation Style-
A mini album by Making Memories. Got a whole pack of paper & only used a few sheets out of it, which was cool. Got scrapfetti, rub ons, paint, metal singage, cute stuff...all in a cute box. Another fun class. The album was quick to make but very cool. All the examples were on a board that the teacher carried around & I thought they should be on the projecter too, instead of having to search the room for the teacher with the board. Good class over all though.

Leather Strap Book-
Another Rusty Pickle class, again a little disorganized feeling. Another great project too though. The leather strips are something that I never would have thought to use in the way that they were used in this class. Fun travel themed book with a cool leather belt type closure.

Clearly Unconventional-
From Creative Imagaination, made a tag type book with the transpancies. I think the teacher made it harder than it should have been. Looking at it, it's simple to make, but it was somewhat confusing in class. Like the steps were out of order. Very cool book though. Lots of great tips on attaching transpancies.

Embellish This!-
By Hot off the Press and a total let down. The class kit is cute, but wasn't impressed with the layout. The teacher tried to show us how to cut out a circle...I'm sorry, I thought we all learned that in kindergarden? Just very basic stuff that didn't get me very excited. Granted, this was the last class I took & I was beyond exhusted by then, but still, not impressed.

No comments: